Friday, August 31, 2018

Every Child Needs a Mom and a Dad

I've seen headlines this week about another Catholic adoption agency shutting down because of new mandates requiring them to place children with same-sex couples. 
“Because Catholic Charities cannot simultaneously comply with state regulations and conform to the teaching of the Catholic Church on the nature of marriage, Catholic Charities will discontinue foster care and adoption services,” Catholic Charities of Buffalo said Aug. 23. - Catholic News Agency

This mandate is mind boggling to me, and it pains me to watch them hurt children for the sake of this LGBTQacdefh... agenda. No one has the right to adopt a child as if the child is some commodity that can be purchased. This should only be about what is best for the child, and there are plenty of well qualified husband/wife couples on long waiting lists ready to take in these orphans.
en.m.wikipedia.org
Even without all the scientific studies and the entire course of human history to prove how much children need both a father and a mother, it's obvious to anyone who has worked with or observed children in most any capacity. I see it every week in children's ministry at church. And it is especially apparent to anyone who has watched children grieve the loss of a parent or even observed a kid while one parent travels on business. I wish everyone could have seen my son's face last night when we stated the obvious but profound regarding his father's absence due to a business trip.
I asked him, "Is there anything I can do to fill in for your dad so as to cheer you up and help you not miss him so much?"
He replied, "No, Mom. I can't connect with you like I can with him. Sorry, but it's a guy thing."
He's right, and we in the church need to be looking for ways to support widows or single parents who are courageously raising children solo. I know we get so overwhelmed in our own parenting struggles, but his comment reminded me how much we need to look beyond ourselves to help provide the male/female influences other families are lacking, usually through no fault of their own. Coaches, youth pastors/volunteers, scout leaders, and other parents, your influence is powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment